three children (minors) with adopted parents (guardians)Guardianship for minors

Minor children who are temporarily displaced away from parents may need a temporary guardian. When a child is in danger or lacks an effective caregiver, it may be in his or her best interest for a relative or other loved one to take over for the parents and be granted guardianship. This allows another adult to care for the child and make major decisions that relate to their schooling, residence and medical care. In addition, a separate conservatorship may be established if financial matters are involved. A conservator manages a minor’s financial choices until the child turns 18.

If you are in a situation where you need to become a guardian for your loved one, or you need to appoint a guardian for your child, our experienced guardianship attorneys can help. We have more than 20 years of experience helping people establish guardianships and conservatorships in Oakland, Wayne, Livingston, Genesee and Washtenaw County Probate Courts.

Michigan law allows the appointment of a children’s guardian if a court finds that an individual is unable to provide continuing care and supervision for his or her children. Many times this happens when:

  • A parent goes to jail or rehab for a drug or alcohol problem
  • The parents abandon the child
  • The parents have died or are incapacitated for an extended period of time

Guardianship for the Elderly

guardianshipA guardian can also be appointed for an elderly relative who can no longer handle his/her own medical or personal issues. Guardianships provide the loving and nurturing care that children and older adults need. Guardianship, although sometimes necessary, are not pleasant or simple proceedings. Often, if dementia is an issue, it can be an emotionally trying time for the whole family. There are good days and bad. It is important to be in touch with an experienced estate planning attorney who can counsel you as to your legal options. Sound estate planning can often avoid the difficulties and expense involved in guardianship proceedings.

Contact the Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates attorneys in Milford, MI at 248-676-1000 if you are in need of guardianship or conservatorship appointment or other estate planning needs. Let us handle your legal problem, so you can concentrate on your life and your loved ones.

Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates have many satisfied clients throughout the five counties of Southeastern Michigan – OaklandWashtenaw, Wayne, Genesee and Livingston. The Michigan Family Law Attorneys of Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates have one simple objective: to handle our clients’ legal worries so they can concentrate on life and family. Contact Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates today to learn more about our experience and success at 248-676-1000. We are conveniently located in Milford, Michigan. We help clients throughout Milford; Highland; Hartland; White Lake; Commerce; Waterford; West Bloomfield; Walled Lake; South Lyon; New Hudson; Wixom; Linden; Holly; Fenton; Grand Blanc; Flint and many more local communities.

Aggressive Attorneys – Compassionate Counsel

Kathryn Wayne-Spindler and Associates Milford Office Location 248-676-1000