Helping Your Child Adjust to Living in Two Homes

Reviewed and approved by Kathryn Wayne Spindler

Divorce is not always easy for a child to understand, especially when they must live in two homes because of it. The best thing you can do for your child is to be there for them and help them through this tough time. Here is what you can do:

  1. Give your children their own space in each home.

This is one of the best things you can do for your child. If space allows, encourage your child to customize their space as they please so they feel comfortable and at home in each location.

  1. Have some duplicate items in each home.

Duplicate items can help your child feel like they belong in each home. It also helps to reduce the amount of packing and moving around your child must do when traveling from home to home.

  1. Maintain a routine in each home.

Routines are always beneficial, especially in situations like these. A consistent routine can help your child feel a sense of normalcy and predictability in each home.

  1. Stay positive.

Your kids probably look to you for affirmation. If you stay positive about the whole situation, they are likely to as well. Do not speak poorly about your ex to your children, stay positive and respectful.

  1. Keep transitions smooth and simple.

Transitioning from home to home can become complicated. It can seem like as soon as a child is settling in somewhere, they must get up and go to the other home. To help make these transitions easier you can be sure to stay in communication while they are with the other parent, even if that means simply checking in every few days.

  1. Do not cause issues with the other parent.

Remember, your ex is still your child’s other parent. This parent is a crucial part of your child’s life. Regardless of whether you care about your ex, do not do anything that could jeopardize their relationship with your child.


The attorneys at Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates are experienced attorneys who change with the times to meet the needs of their clients.  Contact the Milford, Michigan law office of Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates at 248-676-1000 for assistance. The attorneys of Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates practice law throughout Southeastern Michigan including Oakland, Wayne, Washtenaw, Genesee and Livingston counties as well as four mid-Michigan counties Clare, Gladwin, Ogemaw and Roscommon. The attorneys handle cases in Milford; Highland; Hartland; White Lake; Wixom; Commerce; Walled Lake; Waterford; West Bloomfield; Linden; Fenton; Flint; Grand Blanc; Holly; South Lyon; New Hudson; Howell; Clare; Gladwin; Houghton Lake; Higgins Lake; and many more Michigan communities. And soon to be opening another office in Dadeville, Alabama.

Credit to and for more information, please see article “7 Ways to Help Your Kids Live Happily in Two Houses” on