map with money on it showcasing international child support

International Child Support

What to know about International Child Support Laws

Ordinarily, the state in which you reside manages the calculation and payment of child support via a state-level agency. But how do you calculate and collect child support if you, the custodial parent, live in the U.S. but your child’s non-custodial parent lives in a foreign country?Mom clutches crying son signifying international separation

Seeking child support from a person in a foreign country can be complicated and take time. In an effort to alleviate some of the complication, the U.S. has created two key reciprocity agreements with foreign nations. First, the U.S. has a reciprocity arrangement with all the countries that have joined the Hague Convention. On January 1, 2017, the U.S. became a participating member of the 2007 Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance. Joining this convention has streamlined the process of obtaining support from Hague Convention countries. Second, the U.S. has reciprocity arrangements with Foreign Reciprocating Countries (FRC), such as Canada and countries that have not joined the Hague Convention. With these reciprocity arrangements, the U.S. is better able to timely provide you and your family with the child support you are entitled to.

So, who should you contact to obtain child support from a Hague Convention country or an FRC? To further assist families seeking child support, the U.S. created the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE), which works with Hague members, FRC’s, and other countries. The type of assistance the OSCE provides regarding child support depends on whether the custodial parent lives in the U.S. or a foreign nation. The OCSE explains that “if the custodial parent lives in the United States and the parent who owes child support lives in a Hague Convention country or a [FRC], the other country will assist the U.S. in working the case.” Meanwhile, if the custodial parent lives in the foreign country, the U.S. will assist the foreign country.

map with money on it showcasing international child supportBut what should you do if you live in the U.S. and the non-custodial parent does not live in a Hague Convention country or an FRC? Fortunately, several states have created state-level reciprocity arrangements with foreign countries. Thus, you can work with your state’s agency to obtain support. However, if your state does not have a state-level reciprocity arrangement with the foreign country, your best option is to hire an attorney in the foreign country. Hiring an attorney in a foreign country may sound daunting, but the U.S. Department of State provides a helpful list of how to retain a foreign attorney. Additionally, local law firms may be able to provide you with foreign recommendations.

For assistance in obtaining child support from a parent in a foreign country, please contact Spindler and Associates. We have years of experience and know the laws and court procedures for Wayne, Oakland, Livingston, Genesee and Washtenaw Counties where our attorneys have practiced for years. Contact Kathryn Wayne-Spindler & Associates at 248-676-1000 to schedule a consultation. The Oakland County law office is conveniently located in Milford, Michigan. Our service area includes these communities: Milford, Waterford, Walled Lake, Commerce, Highland, Hartland, White Lake, Commerce, South Lyon, Linden, New Hudson, Wixom, Holly, Fenton, Grand Blanc and many more.


5 Responses

  1. Reed

    You did a great job! This post sound really nice. I saw something like a couple of weeks ago, something similar to this, but
    you did detailed study, and your article appears to be more persuasive than others.

    I am amazed by the arguments you provided in addition to the style of your post.
    I like when articles are both informative and interesting, when even boring facts are
    presented in an interactive way. Well, it’s surely
    about your post.

  2. Wilkinson Bryan

    After reading this post Personally i think like a person are the best
    writer now. The post is a significantly structured and well-thought one.
    It jogged my memory about Seems like the
    author actually understand the case in point.
    This item is indeed a good read. So many interesting information I didn’t understand before.
    Thank a person for an excellent function. Keep it up in the future!

  3. paper writing service

    I actually bookmark this page right away! Thanks a great deal
    to usually the author for such a really good article.
    It advised me involving, I do believe your personal weblog is actually simply as good as their own. Let me surely come back to
    your own webpage to check out brand new messages inside the
    future! Best of good fortune!

  4. Thompson Tracey

    The quantity of resources you experienced
    to write this part has to possess obtained been sky-high.
    That is actually so unusual today, to possess somebody
    study the matter properly and also provide it in a fantastic understandable technique.
    I by means of the simply folks who do that was actually But now I have a bot even more
    idea in the on the web community.

Leave a Reply